11 West Beverley Street,
Staunton , VA 24401 UNITED STATES
H. L. Lang & Co. has been in business for over 120 years, since 1885, and continues to takes pride in retaining age-old traditions while keeping pace with the modern means of retailing.
H. L. Lang & Co. is a proud member of the Independent Jewelers Organization. The IJO has a current membership of 850 independent retail jewelry stores, and provides educational seminars, marketing tools, and access to well over one hundred jewelry vendors. Two conventions a year are offered where you may connect with old friends and take advantage of the programs.
Lang’s history goes back to the days when Henry L. Lang, an engraver and watchmaker by trade, who came to Staunton in 1885 and opened a jewelry store on property he purchased on the corner of Beverley and Augusta Streets. He sold this building in 1895 and moved his store to its present location at 11 West Beverley Street in Staunton, Virginia.
Mr. Lang was a gifted engraver who took pride in his work and was also one of the first licensed optometrists in Virginia. He operated his business as a jeweler and an optometrist for 55 years. Mr. Lang served on Staunton City Council for a number of years, was as an active Mason, and served as an Elder in the First Presbyterian Church until his death in early 1940.
Mr. George M. Rhodes purchased H.L. Lang & Co. from Mr. Lang’s estate, in 1940, where-upon he hired his two sons-in-law, Walter M. Dixon, and William Wilson to manage the business for him.
In 1966, Mr. Wilson left Lang’s and purchased a store of his own, in Harrisonburg, Virginia. In the same year, Mr. Dixon purchased the business from Mr. Rhodes, and in 1968 hired his son-in-law, Thomas W. King to come and work with him.
In 2015, Thomas King decided it was time to retire and sold the business so Katie Spurlock and Allison Fitzgerald and they are planning on continuing the traditions of H. L. Lang & Co. for generations to come.
H.L. Lang & Co. has had five owners since the business began, and continues to carry on the tradition of having fine jewelry lines and quality designer pieces, to complement its traditional jewelry selections.
The store has been redecorated and it’s cases rearranged, to better display the jewelry for customers ease of viewing. The fine old mahogany showcases that were originally made for the store, are still as impressive and elegant today as they were 100 years ago.
We welcome you to come in and see for yourself.